Sunday, July 22, 2012

Breaking from the grid (baby steps)

For the past few weeks I've been back to working on an ongoing series of small collage-on-glass pieces. It's a body of work that I seem to revisit about once a year when I get the urge to play with collage. I usually spend a month or two with it until I burn out or get distracted and move on to something else.

I've noticed that my inclination so to arrange things in a grid so this year I'm trying to make a conscious effort to avoid doing this, and to also work with more rounded/circular elements. It's hard for me to let go of the grid (and I haven't completely in most of the pieces so far) but I feel like the exercise has been worth the effort so far.

Anyway, here are some examples - most don't have titles (yet); each is collage on bristol boad, mounted on glass. Overall dimensions of the glass is 4 x 3-1/4"

 Double Lucky

 Untitled

 Georgia Satellite

 Rogue Wave
 
 Untitled
 
 Bad Cartography

 Black Forest

 Shark Week

 Untitled

 Untitled

Untitled


work in progress