Saturday, April 19, 2008


About 15 years ago I picked up a paint-by-numbers Crucifixion in a thrift store in Germantown, Pennsylvania. While visiting my in-laws several years later I found another one in an antique store in northeast Pennsylvania, and I recently picked up another on on ebay. For some time now I've thought about doing a series of works based around these images.

I began by scanning each painting, cropping and enlarging with Photoshop, then printing out the cropped image. I then outlined the contours of each colored area with a black marker, and further enlarged the image with an opaque projector and traced it onto a 14 x 18" piece of paper. I then traced the image onto the back of the paper so that I had a mirror image as well.

I cut a sheet of vellum from a large roll and transferred the mirrored images to the vellum with a black china marker, then flipping the vellum over so that the traced lines are on the back.

I am currently in the process of filling in between the lines using black china markers. After about 6 hours of work I have most of the center area filled in - I still have a lot of work to do.

No comments: