Sunday, May 24, 2009

Test Patterns Update

Indulge me, dear reader, for another Test Pattern update. First up is another recently completed panel piece. Since my last misfire I've decided to scale these down a bit from 12 inches to 8 inches - this latest piece is 8 x 6-1/2 inches.

Here's the original collage that I used as a starting point:

Below is the completed 8 x 6-1/2 in. panel painting. A few differences: The colors are a bit more saturated and less chalky than the original. Also, I slightly altered the composition - I just couldn't get that light green washy vertical band at the bottom center to work so I reduced that area to an emerald green/lemon yellow field, which I then counterbalanced by giving the brownish checkerboard elements at the far right a bit more weight and definition.

I'm also attempting a salvage operation on my previous misfire. I sanded down the entire surface of the piece and then repainted and sanded the upper right corner - that dark green area at the right center kept bugging me so I made it a bit smaller and squared it off. The jury's still out on this piece - I'll keep it around the workroom and see if it grows on me or not. The distressed green surface reminds me of the leaves of our waterlogged tomato plants.

No comments: