Monday, August 2, 2010

Test Pattern (return to square one)

So after nearly a year of electronic detritus, white noise, and cigar box guitar-building I've circled back to the Test Pattern paintings. My goal is to work on these exclusively over the next couple of months. Anyway, here's the first new one. I did the 4 x 4" study for this one last August and looking at it again last week I felt it still held up. The dimensions for the different elements were transcribed to an 8 x 8 x 1-3/8" panel, then the newly-painted/collaged elements were attached (more about the process here.) Comparing the study to the finished piece you'll notice that I goofed up the dimensions in the upper right corner. It's okay - after a bit of angst & recalculation I think I'm happy with how it turned out.

Test Pattern - Desert Fox (study). 2009.
collage, gesso, gouache, enamel, and pastel on paper.
4 x 4"



photo of study with transcribed panel


Test Pattern - Desert Fox. 2010.
acrylic, collage, pastel, gesso, and gouache on panel.

8 x 8 x 1-3/8"




No comments: